Non-profit Organization to Support Domestic Abuse Victims
Domestic abuse can be physical, emotional, sexual or verbal; it may happen very often or not as often, it completely depends on the relationship. Once violence begins, it can never end, but will continue to grow worse over time. The victims of domestic violence often live under the influence of constant terror and stress thinking about the next episode. Domestic violence is a common reality in our society.
Most people don’t realize how common it is, because very often victims of abuse keep quiet. You are not responsible for the violence. Nor are you alone. The alternative is to seek protection from non-profit organizations empowering women. Women Rising Above Abuse (WRAA) empowers and guides women through abusive relationships. We provide them with with the necessary tools and connect the women and girls to the right people for the best personal outcomes.
Other organizations to support domestic abuse victims include National Center for Victims of Crime, National Domestic Violence, MHA, National Organization for Victim Assistance, Homelessness Resource Center, National Sexual Assault Hotline, and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- National Center for Victims of Crime – The National Center for Victims of Crime has a number of resources available to assist victims of crime. Their Hotline number 800-FYI-CALL (800-394-2255) is is available from Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm. With extensive specialized training, their Victim Assistance Specialists are ever ready to help crime victims understand their rights and options.
- National Domestic Violence – Operating around the clock, seven days a week, confidential and free of cost, the hotline number of National Domestic Violence is 800-799-SAFE (800-799-7233) and 800-787-3224 (TDD). They provide lifesaving tools and immediate support to enable victims to find safety and live lives free of abuse. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, and assistance is offered in numerous languages.
- Mental Health America (MHA) – MHA is the leading community-based non-profit organization dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness and to promoting the overall mental health of the domestically abused victims. The hotline number 800-969-6MHA (6642) offers information and resources on numerous mental health topics.
- National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) – The oldest national victim assistance organization of its type in the United States is the recognized leader in victim advocacy, education and credentialing. Their hotline number 800-TRY-NOVA (800-879-6682) is available 24 hours a day. Their main aim is to promote rights and services for victims of crime and crisis.
How can these hotlines help you?
These all organizations when approached provide the victim with below mentioned free services:
- Confidential support from a trained staff member.
- Help find local health facility to take care of survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence.
- Someone to help you talk through what happened.
- Local resources to assist you in next step towards healing and recovery.
- Referrals for long term support in your area
- Information about the laws in your community
- Basic information about medical concerns
All the above mentioned organizations and Women Rising Above Abuse are striving hard to make a difference in the life of domestically abuse victims and aims to support and empower them!